The combination of sausage and pepper is a classic. Sometimes it is the simplest ingredients, melded together, that are just the tastiest. This is one of them. And I love dinners that are served in one big baking dish. For some reason I just feel very accomplished bringing it out of the oven and placing it in the middle of the table.
Although it contains meat, chicken sausage to be exact, this recipe is chalked full of vegetables which is very handy for larger families like mine. Some of us will eat the meat and some will stick to the veggies.
This makes a pretty healthy sized dish. Add a green salad (you have to eat your greens!) and you are good to go!
And let me tell you the leftovers the next day are even better!
Sausage and Pepper Bake
1 1/2 lbs chicken sausage cut in to bite sized pieces
4 large potatoes, sliced in to medium sized pieces
3 large red peppers, chopped
2 red onions, cut in to chunks
¼ olive oil
½ cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
5 hot pickled pepperoncini, chopped + 1 TBSP of the vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 TBSP dried parsley
1 TBSP dried oregano
1 TBSP dried basil
Salt and pepper
Heat oven to 400 F/ 200 C
- Add 1 TBSP oil to gently heated pan. Add sausage and let them brown. Move from pan to large baking dish.
- Add more oil to pan and add potato slices. Salt and pepper them. Let them brown. Move to baking dish with sausage.
- Add more oil to pan and sauté red peppers and onions until tender. Remove from pan and add to baking dish with sausage and potatoes.
- Turn heat for pan to low. Add white wine and gently scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the resulting mix to the baking dish with the other ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix all together.
- Bake in oven approximately 20-30 minutes or until done.